I just include my own CSS file (you can include it in the top html
file) and create styles inside it and set the style name via
myWidget.setStyleName().

If I just want to change one or two CSS properties I use a global
method: MyJS.setStyle(Widget w, String style, String value)
{w.getElement().getStyle().setProperty(style, value);} cause you can't
rely on their Style object being able to set/get ALL styles, plus it's
shorter than calling getElement().getStyle() EVERY time I want to set
a style.

If I was on the GWT dev team I would create a setStyle(String style,
String value){} method right on the Widget class.