Thanks for the reply Martin,

OK, I think you maybe misunderstood my question though.

I understand what Deferred Binding is and why it's a good thing - what
I wanted to know was why does GWT sniff use the navigator.useragent
string e.g.

      var ua = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();

      if (ua.indexOf("opera") != -1) {
        return "opera";
      } else if (ua.indexOf("webkit") != -1) {
        return "safari";
      } else if (ua.indexOf("msie") != -1) {
        if (document.documentMode >= 8) {
          return "ie8";
        } else {
          var result = /msie ([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)/.exec(ua);

etc, etc...

when it's well documented/considered best practise to not sniff the
useragent string because browsers can lie...?

Cheers,
Dave