Many languages restrict what you can do when that thing is practically
never a good idea given their design model - Java doesn't let you
access pointers so developers can stick their scissors in the
proverbial pointer-arithmetic electrical outlet.  Even your issue had
nothing to do with the async nature of RPC, but rather with an error
popping up, and your solution was to wait for the RPC call to return
before allowing the browser to continue - a hack to solve your issue.
I've yet to see an example where sync is a good choice, much less a
requirement.  Just as the GUI interface reflects the asynchronous
nature of user interaction, so the GWT RPC interface reflects the
unreliable async nature of client-server communication; a synchronous
option simply does not match the model!

Here's where I disagree with the "give them the choice" argument.  If
GWT were to provide such a feature, new developers would use it (seems
much easier!), design large applications around it in their local dev
environment, and instead of learning from it when the deployed app
runs into problems, would demand new features to try to make that
programming model work.  It's not a smooth slope of "ok now lets go
more advanced and switch from sync to async"...retrofitting is hard
and ugly!  Instead GWT forces you to understand this issue up front,
when you can do a better clean design that fits the problem.