You do not have to move something out of 'client' packages to have it
on your server. This is definitely wrong!

You do have to move classes you want to have on the client or both
client and server into the client packages (or declare those packages
in your *.gwt.xml files).

Since you want your class to be passed from the client to the server
this class definitely needs to be in your 'client' package. I don't
know why you get an error on compiling, maybe you can give more
informations on this one. GWT compiles all Java files (also those in
'client') to .class files in your war/WEB-INF/src/ folder so all
classes will be accessible on the server.

Andreas