> I don't think any truly RESTful back end can be secure with a GWT front
> end, because you need the back end to keep state to protect against XSRF.

You don't need to maintain state to prevent CSRF. If you set a custom http
request header and check its value on the server side, it will prevent CSRF.
The value can be hard-coded in the service, and does not have to be a
secret.

This works because the only way to set a custom header is via
XmlHttpRequest. A CSRF request cannot use XmlHttpRequest because browser
same-origin policy will prevent it. This solution works as long as your
users are not using outdated versions of flash player (they had security
holes).

Some threads which discuss this strategy - (using custom http headers to
prevent CSRF)
a)
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2609834/gwt-rpc-does-it-do-enough-to-protect-against-csrf
b) http://www.webappsec.org/lists/websecurity/archive/2010-09/msg00099.html