+1

completely agree,
Google offered  $6 Billion to Groupon,
and are investing in Wind power and space adventures.
as the OP stated, if Google team is too focused on hard problems/
architectural decisions,
why not invest/acquire a company to do this for them and the
community.

Sencha is dedicated to developing widgets, and their upcoming 3.0 is
very promising.
wish Google had acquired them instead of GWT Designer.
http://www.slideshare.net/darrellmeyer/ext-gwt-30

on the positive note,
CellWidgets are great, lightweight and fast,
and the GWT MVP is superb.
great framework for developing serious apps.

a new GQuery Plugin, supports Drag and Drop for GWT CellWidgets,
which is great news.

http://gwtquery-plugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/droppable/demo/GwtSimpleSample/GwtSimpleSample.html