Agree with Pascal.

TJ: Maybe you can tell us what your application consists of so that it gets
easier to identify and isolate a DOM manipulation performance problem (if
this is the case). Does it have some kind of table with lots of elements? or
maybe a listbox with lots of entries?

For those problems, probably creating content using innerHTML instead of
appending node elements to the DOM tree will improve your performance a lot
and make your application usable even in IE7. You may look at the latest
cell based widgets for more info:
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideUiCellWidgets.html#selection

Hope this helps,

Martin