Simplifying my use case:

I have a Text box from which I read the value from:

Sender is a shared datastore between the client and the server and is of the
form:
Sender{
   java.util.date dateOfBirth;
     }

GWT Client Side:

    TextBox birthDate;
    String medDateFormat =
locale.getDateTimeFormatInfo().dateFormatMedium();
    String dateString = birthDate.getText();
    Date  date = DateTimeFormat.getFormat(medDateFormat).parse(dateString);
    sender.setDateOfBirth(date);

This date is being passed to an RPC and stored in the DB.

RPC save:
        java.sql.Date birthDate = null;
        if (sender.getDateOfBirth() != null) {
            SimpleDateFormat sqlformat = new SimpleDateFormat( "yyyy-MM-dd"
);
            birthDate =
java.sql.Date.valueOf(sqlformat.format(sender.getDateOfBirth()));
        }
and birthDate is stored in the DB.

So far its fine.

When I read back the data:
RPC read method:
java.sql.date date1
 sender.setDateOfBirth(date1.getTime());

GWT Client:
        if (sender.getDateOfBirth() != null)

this.birthDate.setText(DateTimeFormat.getFormat(medDateFormat).format(
                sender.getDateOfBirth()));
        else
            birthDate.setText("");

Now I see the value on the textBox has changed, is off by a day!