What is really weird is that the timeouts are occurring with making a
request via JsonRequestBuilder yet the Glassfish server has received
the request successfully. I have been digging through the Glassfish
server logs and found an identical set of entries for 2 requests that
were made (one from GWT client, the other from the web browser). What
isn't recorded in the logs is if the server has sent back a response,
and its content if it was sent.

Right now I do not know what is happening with the server responses.
Presumably a response is being sent back to the GWT client. At least a
response has been sent back for the request made by the web browser.