And what about user experience? If the user actually bookmarks abc:null and
the app treats abc:null as "select the first entry in the list" then the
selection may change over time if some editing is done (adding/removing
items). If the user is unexperienced and is not interested in the "url
thing" it is maybe confusing that a bookmark gives different results over
time.
That can not be solved by a nifty url history token because the
interpretation of that token is the problem in that case. The only solution
would be to not use something like abc:null and instead to figure out which
item is the first in the list to be able to select it on an "id" basis prior
the actual place change. Or am I missing something?

Because of the user experience with bookmarking we do not select anything
like "the first entry in that list/dropdown whatever" by default in our app.