On 11/11/2011 12:39 PM, David Vree wrote:
> My company has taken the decision to move from Flex to HTML5/
> Javascript for a corporate web-app.  So far we are very impressed with
> GWT and are thinking of utilizing it, especially since we are mostly a
> Java house.
>
> My biggest concern, however, is the wonderful magic that is the GWT
> Javascript compiler.  If this thing produces production code that is
> different from the development code, or if the Javascript isn't
> aligned with the Java, I fear we will be unable to effectively
> diagnose/debug the problem.

Not to belittle your observation, but replace "Javascript" with "object
code" and "Java" with "C".

It's a good question - how much do you trust your compiler? As a
profession, we've apparently dealt with this issue in the past:

One thing we do is to disable optimizations. GWT has a compiler mode for
that. However, it produces more code, and one aspect of GWT is to reduce
code bloat. Most real-world compilers have similar a trade-off.

Another thing we do is instrument our code. For example, GWT supports
the java.util.logger framework.

We also employ test-driven development. There is the GWTTest environment
as well as other, superb test frameworks.

> Has this been a problem for folks?  Is there some other concern we
> should be aware of?

I'd suggest, if your group hasn't done so, that you create a
proof-of-concept, deploy it to a select group of blind men, and ask them
to describe the resulting Elephant.

Bueno Suerte,
jec