Hi Joseph
On 04/03/2012 08:34 AM, Joseph Lust wrote:
Alan,

Thanks as always for your courteous replies. I'm grateful for the efforts the Google developers put into GWT, as any other enterprise building such a framework would most certainly charge the Earth for it while also crippling its functionality in exchange for customer lock-in. Google just makes great software.

However, I work in a large enterprise where our GWT Community of Practice group must make a case for why any new application should use GWT. It is important to management to know the future of GWT and a roadmap is how this is commonly done. While I don't personally think GWT will suffer from the recent project pogroms at Google, a roadmap and rough release schedule will lend greater confidence to others in the stability and longevity of the framework needed before a company is willing to build multi-million dollar projects with it.

Have you seen this thread on Google+?
https://plus.google.com/117487419861992917007/posts/6YWpsHpqMqZ

especially Ray Cromwell's comment about half-way down? Also Eric Clayberg's - I suggest you read the whole thread, but I've copied and pasted two comments which caught me eye.
<SNIP>
Ray Cromwell: "Many of Google's services are still being written in GWT and won't change anytime soon, for example AdWords and AdSense, from which Google derives the majority of their revenue, are written in GWT, so given that fact alone, GWT will be around for a long time and continue to be improved. The loss of Ray Ryan and Bob were a big set back (unrelated to Dart), and we have people trying to get up to speed on their contributions to maintain them, but honesty, we rely on many of our top external users like Thomas Broyer and Stephan Haberman to fill the gap until that time. (Thanks guys) Turnover is natural and happens at all companies, and it's always rough.

The next release or two of GWT may include more core improvements than the last few point releases of GWT so far, consider: 1) Compiler optimizations that reduce code by size by 30% uncompressed, and 15% gzipped 2) SourceMap support and Source-Level Java debugging in Chrome (and hopefully Firefox) 3) A "super draft mode" that can recompile many apps in under 10 seconds and most under 5
4) New "to the metal" "modern browser" HTML bindings
5) Testing framework that makes GUI testing delightful
6) Incremental compile support to speed up production compiles

So code will be getting smaller, faster, easier to debug (in some situations) and test, and compiles will go quicker. This reflects somewhat the shift in GWT team composition, but as people ramp up on other parts of the SDK (e.g. MVP stuff), I'm sure there will be improved responsiveness to fixing bugs in that area as well.

Obviously, we want Dart to be a huge success, but even if it is, Java isn't going away anytime soon. :)"
</SNIP>
<SNIP>
Eric Clayberg: "I can assure you that GWT is not in maintenance mode. Not even close! Quite the contrary, GWT is very healthy, and the GWT team continues to focus on making GWT a great choice for building structured web applications now and in the future. If you have the need to start a new web app project, GWT would be an excellent choice, and there is no reason to avoid it. The GWT team is fully staffed, and we have very ambitious plans for GWT's future. GWT is used by many large, important projects within Google (and outside Google), and that is unlikely to change any time soon."
<SNIP>

I accept that its not an official roadmap - but it seems to give a clear indication of a continued commitment to developing GWT, albeit on a slower scale than before. I shoudl add that I have no commercial affliation with Google whatsoever, I just use GWT in a couple of different projects in two different companies.

Alan

If GWT retains buy-in at Google, I don't understand why such planning would be detrimental to the GWT team. As I see it, such public planning will only drive more companies and startups to join the GWT bandwagon.

Sincerely,
Joseph

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Web Toolkit" group. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-web-toolkit/-/5rzWGy06oFgJ.