Dynamic positions work fine with transitions, how it works is you just say
(by setting the transition property) 'I want to animate any changes to
top,left,width,height' . You don't even need to specify the positions at
that time, but from that point on, any-time you set the
left/top/right/width, it will animate the changes automatically.

They have some nice properties like automatically reversing a transition if
you set some new values while the element is still animating too.. I guess
it really comes down if you're prepared to have it not work in ie6-9, and
deal with the inevitable quirks that come up due to css3 still being a work
in progress :(