->

....But there is one major flaw which needs to be rectified

Because your portfolio is tracked on a total value invested basis
(including transaction costs etc) this means that whenever you invest more
money into the portfolio you get an immediate performance uplift which is
misleading.  If you have a set investment pool then this is not a problem
however if you are constantly investing more money into the market (e.g.
through your wage or other income sources) then the performance of your
portfolio is misleading (i.e. it looks much higher than it should)

This is a relatively easy problem to fix.  All google needs to do is fix
the graph so that any additions to the portfolio do not affect the indexed
value of the portfolio - however they have not done this yet. Once they get
this right this will be quite a useful tool for benchmarking performance.
 Until they get this right however it is absolutely useless as an
analytical tool.

->

from
http://90million.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/google-finance-portfolios-relative.html