I also had trouble with this...I think the browser event might be consumed
by the custom cell so it never fires the eventhandler, but you can still
get the event in the onbrowserevent method of abstractcell.

Give the element an id and then use the event target to get the button fire
event...

Element target = Element.as(event.getEventTarget());

if (target.getId().toString().equals("my_button_id"))

{

       Window.alert("my button was pressed!")

}