I'd give CellTable/DataGrid a try, if your model is suitable for it and
your cells aren't so 'fancy'. You can use async requests, paging and
lightweight widgets (cell widgets); should be more than enough to speed up
fetching/rendering time.

There is also the ElementBuilder API that makes easy to create DOM elements
from chaining calls in a builder fashion. Checkout some
examples in
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/browse/trunk/user/javadoc/com/google/gwt/examples/dom/builder/

.
One interesting point is that you can use such builders also on server-side
(the server-side actual implementation uses string manipulation instead of
DOM operations) and send back the generated string to the client (never
tried though) http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1455802/

Also AFAICT Elemental does not work well (or at all) with IE prior to 9.