> I'm using Cell widgets elsewhere but don't think they'll buy me enough
> here because I can't use paging in this UI - I need to display the whole
> table.  I'm already loading using an async request.

Even if you don't use paging, it can increase the rendering speed of a
basic, say, flext table.

> Thanks for the pointer to ElementBuilder.  That seems promising but has
> some drawbacks - it won't help me manipulate the DOM after it's been
> created.  Also it seems incomplete - it currently only has builders for
> to be replaced with Elemental?

Well given a builder you can call its finish() method to return the actual
built DOM element that can be later reused if stored somewhere, I guess.
Also AFAICT the builders are all there
http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1463812 and I don't think it's a dead
end, for instance they are used internally in CellTable, they are just
another (fast) way to build elements. And they have nothing to do with
Elemental.

> I haven't tried any of this yet but I assumed that Elemental would work on
> non-webkit browsers so long as you kept to the DOM they support (i.e. keep
> to the simple stuff).  Is that not correct?

Elemental is library generated automatically from the WebIDL specs, in
particular the WebKit ones taken from the Dart project
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/browse/trunk/elemental/README

thus I think they'll have problems with old IE versions (but maybe not with
the very very basic stuff like elemental.dom.*, you need to try). Anyway I
don't think it will buy you much in the short term.

The IsRenderable/PotentialElement strategy seems another way to
singnificantly cut down rendering time, although its "very experimental"
state and I've not yet figured out its usage. See
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-web-toolkit/neeh5YxKm-I/discussion
and
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-web-toolkit-contributors/g8WPRxkdqPA/discussion

Thanks,