Hi,

Not sure where to ask this question, but I was wondering if the GWT devs
every plan to fix the inefficient GWT-RPC ?
The problem happens mostly on IE (all versions), although I assume other
browsers might benefit as well since a lot of cpu cycles are wasted on
things that should be trivial for a browser.

I had to improve multiple GWT apps that all stumble on these 3 problems:
- deserialisation is terribly inefficient - it can take many seconds to
serialize small sets of data,
- on IE I can get slow script warnings
- I sometimes get stack over flows with deeply nested structures.

For example when I send over a tree of 10000 nodes (takes 20ms to create),
it takes 5 seconds or more to deserialize. (I can give you a demo app that
shows the problem)

I only get 2 seconds to impress my users, and I need to do quite a lot of
operations besides sending the RPC.

I've heared the reactions multiple times: don't send soo much data over,
but bytewise this is not soo much. It is highly compressible (just a few K
in fact) data. We want to process complex data structures in the client, we
don't want to create intermediate data structures to bypass the RPC
inefficiencies.

There have been multiple attempts from google to write something better
(DeRPC whichi is now deprecated, and RequestFactory which is very badly
documented so I don't even know if I could reuse this one for generic RPC
calls).

Is it not time to start using json as the base format for GWT RPC ? I would
even like to help out to get this working! It is really a pitty that
somehow RPC is a selling point for GWT but in reality it often becomes the
bottleneck of your application.

Can't we maybe put GWT RPC on the framework for request factory ?

One issue I also have with GWT RPC (but less pressing as the
performanceissue) is the fact that it is not very friendly for mixing
different client technologies. If it were a simple json REST payload
(without obfuscation and lots of secret numbers) then we could easily reuse
it everwhere, it would also make it soo much easier for loadtesting. Not a
lot of tools support GWT RPC easily.

David