Jens, even with source maps in Chrome, I've been unable to get stack traces
to work. They still print out poorly in production when an exception is hit
- the exceptions ignore the source maps entirely. I asked previously if
there is a way around it, but apparently it's a known issue - so I don't
think SourceMaps solve this problem yet.

That said, the size and speed overhead here is terrible and most people
would avoid something that adds that much overhead in production (although
it would be great in development).

What GWT needs here is something closer to what you get with proguard - a
mapping file created during compilation that could be used to run the
obfuscated/javascript exception through a utility to give the correct stack
trace with zero overheads.
I'm not entirely sure on how proguard accomplishes it, but I'd say it would
be the perfect solution.