I am using RestyGWT although I am still using it in a RPC type of way and
not in a RESTful way.

The main reason is that I can split the project to server part and client
part more easily. The server part goes with all of my other services
without gwt jars where it can share code etc...

     Vassilis

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Ralf Klemmer <ralf.klem...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've used RPC, RequestFactory and now RestyGWT in some GWT projects.
> In my opinion RequestFactory development should be canceled and replaced
> by RestyGWT (or something like that).
> My key arguments for that drastic opinion:
>
> RPC
> + easy to learn
> - proprietary
> - problems when trying to send hierarchical entities over the wire
> - mostly leads to DTOs, which leads to boilerplate code for mapping DTOs
> and entities, which leads to hardly maintainable code if you have to deal
> with hierarchical objects (e.g. entity A contains entity B which contains
> list of entity C)
>
> RequestFactory
> - proprietary
> - high learning curve
> - bad documentation (almost every is very old)
> - development is slow (compared to other techniques)
> -  boilerplate code
> + "standard" GWT communication
> + integration with Editor framework
> + transfer of data delta between client and server
>
> RestyGWT
> - no official part of the GWT framework and the potential risk of
> development cancelation
> + really, really easy
> + Java standard
> + great documentation (client side on RestyGWT site, server side on
> RestyGWT and every other REST documentation)
> + out-of-the-box accessible by any other device that can handle rest
> services
> + nearly no boilerplate code
>
> What's your opinion about that? Is RequestFactory the "right" way or not?
> What are your experiences?
>
> I'm looking forward to your answers,
> Ralf

Vassilis Virvilis