Hi RO,

From what you write, I believe we share many objectives, including to safeguard the project’s long-term reputation and health and to increase diversity within the project.  We agree that the concept of meritocracy could introduce bias against under-represented groups (although I think you believe that it tends not to in practice, I argue there is evidence to say it does).  Where we diverge: you believe that continuing to enshrine “meritocracy” in Mozilla’s governance statement is important to the project’s reputation, I believe we can make a clearer statement of the principle, without inferring the whole system.

You clearly hold that the term “meritocracy” is important and beneficial - many people would agree with you.  I’m attempting to preserve the best of it in the proposed statement. Clearly, people contributing to a project need to know that their abilities and effort will be recognised and rewarded.

But I am also asserting that “meritocracy” is understood differently by different people.  You don’t appear to accept that the term has negative connotations for anyone other than a constituency you don’t necessarily believe should be represented (“activists” / “those with a very specific ideology/worldview”).  Minimal desk research demonstrates that the term is also increasingly understood by many to mean something closer to its original coinage [0].

From my point of view, you have not commented if you feel the proposed replacement language corresponds with your idea of a good system of governance, only argued about the context in which its made.  I don’t believe that the proposed wording aligns with any ideology. It’s plain and less open to interpretation. I’d encourage you to comment on that.

You argue that open source lends itself to diversity by its nature.  I agree that it should do, but it has been demonstrated not to, and the concept of “meritocracy” as a justification for existing power structures is known to introduce bias [1].  I don’t accept that this is a dramatic change that would distract from the real work of promoting diversity. For one thing, it is a modest proposal (you described it as “window dressing”, after all!), and secondly, from discussing with those who work on diversity and inclusion at Mozilla, I am very confident they feel this is a helpful change to their work.

Your argument that we should not address the question of “meritocracy” in our governance statement until its proven to promote positive change is somewhat circular. Obviously, if every project takes that view, no change will ever happen, will it?  Let’s neutralise the issue and lead by being clearer about what we stand for.

Patrick

0. https://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/25/world/michael-young-86-scholar-coined-mocked-meritocracy.html

1. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.2189/asqu.2010.55.4.543