From: CPG Violations <violati...@thunderbird.net>
Subject: CPG Enforcement Action for Thunderbird

Dear Jörg,

We are writing today in order to address your participation in the Thunderbird community.

This email is to let you know that the Thunderbird Council has experienced and received reports that you violated Mozilla’s Community Participation Guidelines <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/policies/participation/>(“CPG”), which Thunderbird has adopted. These alleged violations took place via email, on bugzilla and other systems. Some examples that are alleged to have violated the CPG are:

* Be Respectful / Be Direct but Professional

o Assuming ill intent.When roadblocks are in the way of what you’d like to achieve, you tend to focus on your solution. In a number of conversations you have been disrespectful towards others who are equally looking to reach a conclusion, or offering to help you along the way. The CPG requires you to be open to different possibilities and to being wrong.

o Passive aggressive communication. When having critical conversations you lean towards passive aggressive remarks. These can be hurtful towards those who you are directing them against, and don’t contribute to a healthy style of conversation. The CPG requires you to be respectful in all interactions and communications.

o Using facts to excuse disrespectful language.In a number of conversations where you have been called out for communicating disrespectfully, you counter by stating what you said is a fact. While in many cases it is truly a fact, the way in which you convey these facts has not been appropriate. The CPG requires that if someone says they have been harmed through your words or actions, listen carefully, apologize sincerely, and correct the behavior going forward.

o Using your position to make demands.You’ve had a few interactions with the community and council in the past where you’ve made demands for something to change, and used your position in the community as a pressure point to have them met. This was mainly connected to the threat of putting critical tasks at rest until the demands are adhered to.The CPG requires you to demonstrate an understanding of different perspectives, not using all means necessary to win your argument.

* Be Inclusive

o Use of derogatory language.There have been a few situations where you have used derogatory language to call out mistakes, for example related to grammatical mistakes others have made. As a community member we need you to be respectful of different backgrounds and communicate professionally.The CPG requires you to be inclusive of everyone in an interaction, respecting and facilitating people’s participation, for example when there are non-native speakers involved.

* Personal Attacks

o You’ve demonstrated a number of times that when you disagree with someone you will go to lengths to discredit them, find and bring up unrelated issues that would demean or insult them. Oftentimes this leads to personal attacks that are not acceptable.The CPG requires discussions to be conducted respectfully and professionally, remaining focused on the issue at hand.

* Lead by Example

o As a council member, you are in a special role within the community that requires professional conduct more than usual. When engaging with community members, users, paid Thunderbird contributors, your actions set an example on what behavior is tolerated within the community. The example you are setting by violating the CPG is having a negative effect on the community.The CPG requires you to lead by example. Your actions influence others to behave and respond in ways that are valuable and appropriate for our organizational outcomes.

These are some examples among many of what has long been a pattern of behavior on your part that is no longer welcome or acceptable within the Thunderbird project.

Not only do these actions devalue the work of the team, but they are driving away new contributors, send the wrong message to observers about what is and isn’t acceptable in our community, and in some cases even make it difficult to determine exactly what the real issues are and how to resolve them.

While we’re grateful for the amount of time and effort you’ve put into Thunderbird, no single contributor’s participation outweighs the importance of civility and professionalism among our contributors, as developers and as a community.

The CPG reports were reviewed, and an investigation was conducted by the Thunderbird Council, with support from Mozilla HR and Community Management. The Thunderbird Council has determined that a material portion of the violations were substantiated to our satisfaction following the Thunderbird CPG investigative process.

The decision was made to issue a 3 months mandatory ban from participation in Thunderbird communities from August 20th to November 20th, 2020. This means:

* All accounts deactivated during this time.
* No interaction with any of the people involved. This includes
o No interactions with Thunderbird community members, paid contributors, and Thunderbird Council members. o No interactions in any official Thunderbird channels, as well as external or unofficial channels like social media (Twitter, Facebook, Telegram). * No attendance at Thunderbird events during this period (virtual or physical)
* All community leadership roles suspended.
* Mandatory CPG onboarding process after this period.

This pause will allow you to reflect on what your next steps are and consider how you wish to contribute to Thunderbird going forward. We trust that you will comply with the conditions of the pause, but the pause may be extended or made permanent in accordance with the consequence ladder if you do not.

After November 20th if you would like to be active in the community again, you will be required to attend a Community Participation Guidelines onboarding. We will let you know at the onboarding which tools and community events you will receive access to immediately, and which you may be asked to not participate in for a longer period.

If you have any questions, or would like to schedule a 1:1 regarding the scope of this decision, please reply to this email.

Enforcement of our CPG is something Thunderbird takes very seriously. All community members are held accountable to the standard set forth in the CPG. As a community leader your behavior also sets the standard for others and signals what is, and is not, acceptable in our community. We hope this is an opportunity for you to evaluate your role within the community, with positive goals for the future.

Your next step is to indicate that you have received this email, and to let us know if you would like to schedule a 1:1 call. We will be in touch in November to begin the reinstatement & onboarding process.

Signed, the Thunderbird Council