The sales pitch my colleagues heard suggested it was already in v5.. That's a
big shame to hear that we all misunderstood.

________________________________
From: gpfsug-discuss-boun...@spectrumscale.org
<gpfsug-discuss-boun...@spectrumscale.org> on behalf of Christof Schmitt
<christof.schm...@us.ibm.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 6:50:00 PM
To: gpfsug-discuss@spectrumscale.org
Cc: gpfsug-discuss@spectrumscale.org
Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] wondering about outage free protocols upgrades

Hi,

at this point there are no plans to support "node by node" upgrade for SMB.

Some background: The technical reason for this restriction is that the records
shared between protocol nodes for the SMB service (ctdb and Samba) are not
versioned and no mechanism is in place to handle different versions. Changing
this would be a large development task that has not been included in any
current plans.

Note that this only affects the SMB service and that the knowledge center
outlines a procedure to minimize the outage, by getting half of the protocol
nodes ready with the new Samba version and then only taking a brief outage when
switching from the "old" to the "new" Samba version:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/STXKQY_4.2.2/com.ibm.spectrum.scale.v4r22.doc/bl1ins_updatingsmb.htm
The toolkit follows the same approach during an upgrade to minimize the outage.

We know that this is not ideal, but as mentioned above this is limited by the
large effort that would be required which has to be weighed against other
requirements and priorities.

Regards,

Christof Schmitt || IBM || Spectrum Scale Development || Tucson, AZ
christof.schm...@us.ibm.com  ||  +1-520-799-2469    (T/L: 321-2469)