Hi Kevin,

I don’t have any experience running GPFS over iSCSI (although does iSER
count?). For what it’s worth there are, I believe, 2 vendors in the FC space—
Cisco and Brocade. You can get a fully licensed 16GB Cisco MDS edge switch for
not a whole lot
(https://m.cdw.com/product/cisco-mds-9148s-switch-48-ports-managed-rack-mountable/3520640).
 If you start with fewer ports licensed the cost goes down dramatically. I’ve
also found that, if it’s an option, IB is stupidly cheap from a dollar per unit
of bandwidth perspective and makes a great SAN backend. One other, other
thought is that FCoE seems very attractive. Not sure if your arrays support
that but I believe you get closer performance and behavior to FC with FCoE than
with iSCSI and I don’t think there’s a huge cost difference. It’s even more fun
if you have multi-fabric FC switches that can do FC and FCoE because you can in
theory bridge the two fabrics (e.g. use FCoE on your NSD servers to some 40G
switches that support DCB and connect the 40G eth switches to an FC/FCoE switch
and then address your 8Gb FC storage and FCoE storage using the same fabric).

-Aaron

Sent from my iPhone