Hello,

What a nightmare. I almost fall into depression trying to solve the problem.
I have excluded HW problem as I had exactly the same configuration (USB
camera + USB embedded controller) perfrectly working on the same PC under
Ubuntu.

Today I discovered gphoto is working properly when connected to one of my
PC's USB slots but not when connected to other two. However it stopped
working (camera is triggered but PTP error when trying to download image)
after pluging in the controller to the other slots. So I used USB hub (with
external power supply) to have both devices connected to the "proper USB
slot". And finally everything works: gphoto captures and downloads images,
the controller talks.

Just when I run my script (send a command to the controller then take a
photo and so on) the camera keeps disconnecting and connecting every second
after first command is send to the controller. When I stop the script the
camera stays connected, everything works, gphoto captures and downloads
images, controllers talks. And that's ridiculous.

At this point my only idea was to change Nikon's USB cable and ... this
solved all the problems. But still it's hard to understand why was it
working under Ubuntu.

Anyway I can confirm all variations of gphoto2 2.5.8/2.5.14 libusb0/libusb1
32/64bit are working well under Win7. Simple workaround for missing
libintl.la file in 32bit Cygwin is to copy an existing one (like
libiconv.la) and update it with libintl libraries which are already there in
Cygwin.

Best regards
Michal