On Thu, 21 Oct 2021, Tobias Pilz wrote:

Hi Vero,

as I understand it, vector files in GRASS need a key column if they have an attribute table. But I don't see that this has to be a column named 'cat'. However, GRASS is quite inconsistent here. Some functions ensure the existence of a 'cat' column, such as v.db.dropcolumn (just gives an error if you try to remove the 'cat' column), whereas other functions let one define other columns as key column (e.g. manually in the GUI or v.db.addtable).

The latter happened with my vector map, i.e. a different column was defined as key column. Therefore it is confusing why rgrass7::writeVECT() just adds the cat column and without any notification. This makes no sense to me and is annoying as my subsequent workflow produced unexpected results and I had to trace back the error which took a while.

In sf vector objects, there is no concept of key column, I think. In sp vector objects (used before, should be avoided from now on as sf is actively maintained), the geometry ID is keyed to the row.names of the data slot data.frame object, but is also not seen as a user-facing key column.

So you are adding (as a user) a concept not present in the R-side objects.

In practice, cat can be useful where cleaning has split line or polygon objects imported into GRASS into multiple features, which can then be unioned back after exporting from GRASS to R, but this isn't a concept, it is a pragmatic fix.

Hope this clarifies,

Roger

From my perspective as user it would be great if a more consistent solution regarding the treatment of key columns could be found, i.e. either always ensure the existence of a column named 'cat' or just accept if the user specifies a different key column.

Regards,