On Jan 11, 2008, at 6:04 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 04:42:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Craig Leat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [GRASS-user] v.in.ogr fails on dbf with long column names
To: grass-user@lists.osgeo.org

Hi

I have a shapefile and attributes in a dbf file. The dbf has two columns where the first ten characters of the column names are identical. The dbf driver appears to only consider the first ten letters of the name and so v.in.ogr fails reporting that two columns have the same name. Is there a way
to only import selected columns? I could also delete a column before
importing, but I am lacking some basic DBase know how so any pointers will
be greatly appreciated.

BTW the dbf is too big (94,000 rows) to load into OpenOffice Calc.

Open it in OpenOffice database module. This is very easy to use (set the $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf directory as the data source). You can change field names without even looking at the data.

Michael

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University