I just wonder how was the tile-patching and dissolving (of
CORINE shapefile(s)) as it is described in v.dissolve's
help text?

Where the file's "CODE_00" column different than "TEXT" ?

But anyway is good to make things as much as possible more
transparent. I learned a lot from this small story.

Thanks!

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:26:45 -0500
 "Patton, Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Eric Patton wrote:
> > > Just a clarification...so it's the case that the
> column parameter
> > > in v.dissolve must always be of type integer, and
> *only* integer?
>
> Hamish:
> >The v.dissolve script with dissolve based on a column
> currently
> >requires that column to be of type integer. We should
> probably add a
> >check in the script for that (v.info -c).
>
> Ok, that's what I thought; thanks. I wanted to make sure
> before I added a hint in the docs.
> Actually, I think Nikos mentioned something about writing
> up a hint about it, so I'll hold off.
>
> >It would be possible to add any type of column to
> v.dissolve with unix
> >tools 'db.select | sort | uniq | nl' then create a new
> table with the
> >unique attributes + sequential integer column, then
> v.reclass as
> >before.
>
> >or add a new column to (a copy of) the existing table
> (v.db.addcol) and
> >populate it with a 'db.select | sort | uniq' loop and
> v.db.update, or
> >SQL + db.execute << "set DISOLVEKEY = $i where ATTRIBUTE
> = '$VAL'"
> >(sorry my SQL is not good but you may be the idea of
> what I mean)
>
> Cool. It's always amazing how powerful these little
> command line tools can be.
>
> ~ Eric.

                        .
         Nikos Alexandris - Ph.D. Candidate
                        .
            Department of Remote Sensing
                       and
            Landscape Information Systems
                     (FeLIS)
                        .
      Faculty of Forestry and Natural Environment
          Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg
                        .
            Tel.  +49 (0) 761 203 3697
            Fax.  +49 (0) 761 203 3701