On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlenn...@club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> On 30/10/14 10:52, Markus Neteler wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Moritz Lennert
>> <mlenn...@club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I know that people work with entire GISDBASES on remote server, often via
>>> NFS, but does anyone have experience with mounting only one mapset from a
>>> remote server into a location on the local machine ?
>>

>> Yes, we have. What is the specific question? :)
>
> Any specific hints about possible difficulties ?

As long as you have a stable network connection, no issues.

> I am trying to figure out the best way to allow students to work on
> VHR-imagery in computer labs where their own sessions are limited in terms
> of disk space and where the file server is normally read-only for students.

ok, so you may set it up like this:

(NFS)Server:
/storage/grassdata/<various locations>

--> export /storage/grassdata/ as read-only NFS share

Put all data into the PERMANENT mapset.

Student machine(s):

# as root, one time needed (add to /etc/fstab):
mkdir -p /storage/grassdata/
mount via NFS /storage/grassdata/ into /storage/grassdata/

# as user:
mkdir $USER/grassdata
mkdir $USER/grassdata/location1
ln -s /storage/grassdata//location1/PERMANENT $USER/grassdata/location1/

now start GRASS with $USER/grassdata/ and location1 and create a new
user mapset within it.
That will stay locally while PERMANENT comes from the NFS server in read-only.

Markus