Not sure if r.in.gdal or r.in.wms can load Google Earth tiles.

QGIS has a nice way of loading external tiles and WMS servers as a
background image. You could than digitize on top of that. But since Google
changed their MAPs API, I'm not sure if QGIS is loading Google Earth Images
straight out of the box. It's been a while since I've used this feature.

Also, I'm not sure what to make of this part of the Google Maps Platform
terms of service, in the section about "restrictions against misusing"

https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/terms/

3.2.4 Restrictions Against Misusing the Services.

(a)  No Scraping.  Customer will not extract, export, scrape, or cache
Google Maps Content for use outside the Services. For example, Customer
will not:(i) pre-fetch, index, store, reshare, or rehost Google Maps
Content outside the services; (ii) bulk download geocodes; (iii) copy
business names, addresses, or user reviews; or (iv) use Google Maps Content
with text-to-speech services. Caching is permitted for certain Services as
described in the Maps Service Specific Terms.

(b) No Creating Content From Google Maps Content. Customer will not create
content based on Google Maps Content, including tracing, digitizing, or
creating other datasets based on Google Maps Content

Cheers
Daniel