On Mon, 4 Feb 2019, Daniel Victoria wrote:

Not sure if r.in.gdal or r.in.wms can load Google Earth tiles.

Daniel,

Both are worth a try.

QGIS has a nice way of loading external tiles and WMS servers as a
background image. You could than digitize on top of that. But since Google
changed their MAPs API, I'm not sure if QGIS is loading Google Earth
Images straight out of the box. It's been a while since I've used this
feature.

Also something for me to consider.

Also, I'm not sure what to make of this part of the Google Maps Platform
terms of service, in the section about "restrictions against misusing"

(a)  No Scraping.  Customer will not extract, export, scrape, or cache
Google Maps Content for use outside the Services. For example, Customer
will not:(i) pre-fetch, index, store, reshare, or rehost Google Maps
Content outside the services; (ii) bulk download geocodes; (iii) copy
business names, addresses, or user reviews; or (iv) use Google Maps Content
with text-to-speech services. Caching is permitted for certain Services as
described in the Maps Service Specific Terms.

(b) No Creating Content From Google Maps Content. Customer will not create
content based on Google Maps Content, including tracing, digitizing, or
creating other datasets based on Google Maps Content

I read the above as prohibiting re-using GE maps in web applications or for
profit as products, but not prohibiting using the tiles as background for
maps produced by a GIS.

The other part of my question, which was not clearly stated, is how to use
v.edit or the GUI digitizing tool to closely follow an edge in a background
map. Perhaps the way to do this is to zoom in on a small section, digitize a
series of short arcs, save the work and exit digitizing, then pan the
working widow and repeat the above. I've not been able to digitize a project
area, for example, while viewing the entire area.

Thanks for your reply,

Rich