[Pls. visit <http://petitions.aidindia.org/singur/>
and write to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Singur is in Hugli District of West Bengal. The West
Bengal Government as 'decided' to give 997 acres of
land to the Tata Group. The  proposed factory will
manufacture a car worth Rs. 1 lakh. Land
acquisition has been made by the State Government for
'public purpose'. Compensation has been offered. Most
have refused to give up their land despite subsequent
hike in the rates of compensation. Government started
the process of physical takeover of the land
claimed to be handed over to it from the 1 December
2006. On 2 December, police resorted to unrestrained
violence in the adjoining villages. The local TMC MLA
and Medha Patkar was physically 'removed' from the
area.

An Urgent Appeal

Giving consent or facing coercion, in case of Singur,
has become the two sides of the same coin -- both the
sides loaded heavily with threat, repression and
violence. In this backdrop will those
intoxicated with power kindly note that there is no
greatness in letting 20000 armed police loose amidst a
few villages? Have they started believing that the
unarmed have no democratic rights? Have the images of
Jalianwala Bagh faded?

The Government of West Bengal with its police, is
behaving like a land-grabbing promoter-mafia duo. It
is spreading terror and trying to force almost 60% of
unwilling individual land-owners to accept
compensation and part with almost 50% of the remaining
land at Singur.  This, notwithstanding the
Government's lie that 913 acres, that is 92% of the
land has already been 'voluntarily' handed over to the
State, which has issued acquisition notice in August.
Why else should the state need to send 20000 armed
personnel for so little land? Moreover the question of
'voluntary' handing over of prime agricultural land is
a joke, a misnomer in the face of the Government's
unilateral decision of acquisition. The Government is
dispossessing land owners of their private property
and following it up by branding them as encroachers
and trespassers.

The Government is openly justifying its brutish and
bizarre actions stating that they are governed by the
market -- Tatas they explain, after all, 'wanted' that
specific piece of land at Singur. Obviously
the overlord can cut its fiefdom into pieces and the
taker will choose the cake -- leftist bhudaan
movement, of a different kind.

The farmers here work on two to five crops a year.
There are 26 mini-tubewells, 2 deep tubewells and a
DVC canal for irrigation. No wonder they refuse to
sell there 'mother'. It is shocking to hear that
LF leaders say that the womenfolk here, would be able
to work as menials in the residential apartments which
will come up in the vicinity when the factory is
setup. Is this the paradigm of
development for the future?

The Information and Police Minister, like his distant
predecessor -- Goebbels -- justifies police atrocities
at Singur as 'self defense'. Earlier in the day,
however, he had stated characteristically that
'nothing' has happened at Singur. The boastful
challenging words "Who will stop us?" with a smug
smile on camera, reminds one of a moustached German of
yesteryears, though his economic pursuits are being
compared by some of his party comrades with a Russian
and a Chinese of not so distant past. No wonder this
'International Figure' is bragging -- "We are 235,
they are 35" -- in spite of a 50-50 break up of polled
votes in the last General Elections. Let us not talk
about the single largest chunk of non-voters. When
faced with an awkward question from a journalist on
camera, he evades, turns away visibly embarrassed, but
not before asking threateningly as to what paper the
journalist represents. Siddhartha Sankar Roy, the
Congress Chief Minister was similarly vindictive and
arrogant in the '70's -- before he was dumped. History
goes full circle -- Buddha, the Avatar,
reverts to his purvashram, Siddhartha.

CPI(M) leaders helped the police on ground-zero to
identify the houses of those who have not given up
their land. The law keepers selectively broke into
these homes, assaulted even the elderly, women and
children, torched hay stacks. Some TV channels did a
great service by airing footage of the merciless
beatings resorted to. It was shocking to witness over
TV, hundreds of policemen trampling over crops and
human rights. Such brutality and excess reminded one
of our colonial
past. Has the Left Front chosen to carry on with the
British legacy?

Shamefully it is the same Left Front which had once
tried to empower rural Bengal. Whither land reforms?
What about the pledges? Today empowered by the Black
Commando, Rapid Action Force, Combat Force and regular
police force it is going for the throats of the
hapless tillers. What else can be termed as the
arrogance of power?

Yet another shame is the role of the 'legendary'
Ananda Bazar Patrika Group. We are in favour of the
freedom of press. But the freedom of the press-owner
should not compromise the freedom of the readers. The
readers have the right to know and the ABP has chosen
to mislead. Is this what freedom of press is all
about? We categorically state that the LF and the ABP,
old foes, are now working in partnership. We denounce
the role of ABP and call upon all those to whom
freedom of
press is dear, to suitably denounce it.

Will we be mere bystanders? We must warn well in
advance that one  should not look at Singur in
isolation. It is not just about paving the way for
further acquisition in Nandigram, Haripur, Barasat,
Bhangar, Baruipur which, and many more, are all on the
anvil. Beware, the hound-like state repression is
being unleashed. We should not allow this juggernaut
to roll. We must condemn and protest. Wherever we are,
whoever we are, irrespective of party affiliations or
non-partisan positions. We must organise and/or
participate in protests. In whatever manner we deem
fit.

With warm regards

Naba Dutta

General Secretary, Nagarik Mancha

Please send protest letters to:
His Excellency, The Governor of West Bengal, Raj
Bhavan, Kolkata 700 062

Phone: 033-2200 1641,Fax: 033 – 2200 2444 / 2200 1649
Email id: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]