[If the "surgical strikes" across the LoC (fictional or not) were
meant to subdue Pakistan, that has just spectacularly failed, as the
article below meticulously testifies.]

http://scroll.in/article/821066/no-war-no-peace-the-aftermath-of-the-surgical-strikes-raises-concerns

CROSS-BORDER ISSUES

No war, no peace: The aftermath of the 'surgical strikes' raises concerns

As the ceasefire seems all but over, hostilities between India and
Pakistan threaten to escalate.

2 hours ago

Saikat Datta

In May 2014, on the day the Narendra Modi government was preparing to
take oath after winning the general election, an attack on the Indian
consulate in Afghanistan was launched in the early hours. The
alertness of a Central Industrial Security Force soldier posted at the
consulate saved the day. He killed a suicide bomber and broke the
attack. But the attack, as investigations would later reveal, had been
sanctioned by Pakistan’s intelligence agency, Inter-Services
Intelligence, in a bid to de-stabilise the incoming government.

Throughout the early hours of that day, security officials in India’s
external intelligence agency, Research & Analysis Wing monitored the
situation even as the Modi government was putting together its
security team. While the current National Security Adviser, Ajit
Doval, was yet to be appointed, he was asked by the new prime minister
to meet officials and make assessments for the new government. Those
assessments clearly pointed towards a renewed effort by the Pakistani
military to de-stabilise the Nawaz Sharif-government’s attempt to
establish a working relationship with the Modi government.

In the last week of August 2014, Home Minister Rajnath Singh called up
the Director General of the Border Security Force and asked him to
start taking pre-emptive action against any firing from Pakistan. The
BSF is largely deployed on the international border in Jammu &
Kashmir, while the army takes over the responsibility of guarding the
de-facto border where the Line of Control starts. In the Jammu region,
where the border exists, the BSF is equipped with heavy weapons to
respond to Pakistani firing. On the LoC, besides the artillery guns of
the army, infantry units keep anti-aircraft guns that are kept in a
direct firing mode and used with devastating effect on Pakistani
positions.

“By September 2014, the orders were clear that India had to retaliate,
and the pendulum swung from a peace that had been crafted by the
ceasefire to a no-war, no-peace scenario,” a senior security official
told Scroll.in. “But it swung so far and so wide that it is now
beginning to resemble 2002.”

The end result has led to renewed hostilities on the LoC resulting in
high casualties on both sides. Between September and the first week of
November, India has already lost nearly 35 soldiers in cross border
raids and firing. The loss of 20 soldiers in an attack on an army camp
in Uri is the highest that the army has suffered in cross border raids
on the LoC. The attack led to reprisal “surgical strikes” across five
sectors of the LoC by Indian Special Forces in September.

For the Indian Army, used to a ceasefire that held for nearly a
decade, the instructions from the political leadership to carry out
reprisal strikes across the LoC has been the clearest. As several
senior army officers in Delhi confirmed, the greater latitude to
respond to Pakistani firing has been largely welcomed by formation
commanders across the LoC. However, the concomitant rise in casualties
of Indian soldiers is beginning to creep up. This was discussed in
several meetings of the military operations directorate with the Vice
Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Bipin Ravat, a man who known
to take aggressive postures when he was a formation commander on the
LoC. Senior military officials told Scroll.in that Lieutenant General
Ravat, who took over on September 1 this year, has been regularly
reviewing military operations along the LoC and passing instructions
to all formations that any attempts to facilitate infiltration by
Pakistani troops must be responded to with “overwhelming firepower”.

A ceasefire
The couple of years after the Kargil War between India and Pakistan in
1999 are known as the “No War, No Peace” years. The hostilities
between the two armies on the LoC was so intense, that daily battles
would take place, as the men would exchange small arms fire,
frequently escalated to artillery exchanges. Since 1999, as a reply to
a Right to Information application recently revealed, 4,567 Indian
military and BSF personnel have been killed in cross-border exchanges
with Pakistan.

The figures culled from Parliament and other sources bear this out. In
2002 alone, there had been over 2,600 incidents of firing on the LoC.
This was also the period wen the two countries almost went to war
again. Soon after the attack on Parliament on December 13, 2001 by the
Jaish-e-Mohammed, a terrorist group working out of Pakistan, India
declared a full-scale mobilisation. As the armies moved to the border
for an eyeball-to-eyeball confrontation, there was a spurt of violence
across the LoC, daily battles ensuring that the quota of ammunition
allocated to the units deployed on the LoC were exhausted before the
next consignment was due.

But the ceasefire declared by India and Pakistan in November 2003
changed all that. By 2004, border incidents fell so dramatically that
for two years, no firing was recorded as an “incident”. Post 2006,
sporadic incidents would mar the peace between the two armies, but
peace generally held till 2010. As diplomacy failed to break the
decades-old stalemate on Kashmir, incidents began to escalate, with
2010 reporting 39 incidents, that went up to over 340 in 2014. By
2016, the LoC has been notching up several incidents across the LoC on
a daily basis.

The fallout
How the new aggression on the LoC will pan out remains to be seen.
Several intelligence analysts Scroll.in spoke to, expressed rising
concerns about where this heightened aggression on both sides will
eventually lead to. While there has been some worry in military
circles about the rising casualties, there is a similar worry among
the Indian intelligence community.

The reasons for the worry are manifold, primarily led by the impact
this will have on Jammu and Kashmir. The rise in infiltration attempts
from across the LoC has been significant. Official figures shared with
foreign diplomats show that there were more than 35 attempts in the
first nine months. Just about half of these attempts proved
successful. The rise in foreign militants has also been alarming.
Nearly three years ago, the number of foreign militants operating in
the state had fallen to about 75 known faces. This is nearly touching
200, this year, according to estimates by intelligence officials.
“This shows the kind of pressure Pakistan is under to ensure it can
continue to keep the focus on Kashmir,” a senior analyst said. Another
intelligence official, serving in the state said that the infiltration
attempts had gone up significantly, corresponding closely with
domestic compulsions in Pakistan. “With the Pakistani army chief
expected to step down and the prime minister under pressure, as
reports indicate, there has been a corresponding effort to increase
tensions in Kashmir,” the official said.

But there is also disquiet among them about a similar strain of
thought within India’s policy making circles. Some decisions, it is
feared, are also being done to address a domestic constituency. The
election rallies across Uttar Pradesh have seen BJP leaders bringing
up the surgical strikes. At a rally in Kairana, UP, on November 7,
union home minister Rajnath Singh pointed out how he had spoken about
Pakistan supporting terrorism, on a visit to Islamabad to address a
South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation meeting. The party
has also been trying to address the families of soldiers, hoping to
cash in on the escalations on the LoC. That, many pointed out, is
clearly a worry. As intermittent firing across the LoC continues,
chances are that this will only escalate in the coming months.


-- 
Peace Is Doable

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Green Youth Movement" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to