[Take special note of the bullet point inferences drawn by the investigatin
author.]

I/II.
https://www.nationalheraldindia.com/eye-on-rss/deep-inside-the-saffron-lair-in-bengal-what-the-rss-is-up-to-in-the-eastern-state

Deep inside the saffron lair in Bengal: What the RSS is up to in the
eastern state

SOIBAL DASGUPTA Updated: Oct 01st 2017, 10.14 PM

File picture of an RSS-run Saraswati Shishu Mandir school.
Rights-free image

File picture of an RSS-run Saraswati Shishu Mandir school.

A novelist and playwright infiltrates into the RSS to gain insight for his
upcoming ‘novel’ and provides an account of his time spent in the Sangh

It was the summer of 2016. I was part of a play in which a minister said to
his PA that Lord Ganesha’s was the world’s first successful head
transplant. The Qutb Minar, another part of the script, had the minister
say, was actually a Vishnu Stambh. It left the audience in splits. But soon
thereafter, I stumbled upon an article which claimed that they were
actually parts of textbooks taught in RSS schools. I felt I could use this
material in a novel I was plotting at that time. I needed to speak to
teachers and students in these schools.

But then RSS schools, I discovered, did not allow outsiders on their
campus. Infiltrating the Sangh seemed the only way out for conversing with
the teachers. Thankfully, the RSS was desperately trying to establish
itself in Bengal and was looking for converts.

I submitted an online application and received an automated reply with the
number of an RSS member. The next day, I was subjected to an extensive
telephonic interview. Several other phone calls followed from different
people. They did not appear to have bought my story that I was a
playwright. And they were all wary as to whether I was a journalist. I was
eventually advised to attend the daily RSS shakha in a locality of my
choice.

I had, of course, taken precautions. The name I gave on the form was of
Saibal Majumdar. If they had searched for Saibal Dasgupta (I write my name
with an ‘o’), it would have led them to my namesake, a journalist with The
Times of India. Saibal Majumdar was already 100 per cent Google-proof and I
was reasonably certain that my fake identity would hold.

At the shakha at Chinar Park, we would sing songs and salute a somewhat
soiled saffron flag that I reckoned had not been washed for a year or two.
We would also perform light exercises. We discussed neither religion nor
much of politics. The routine was fixed and the lectures dwelt on how the
RSS helps a man develop through discipline and the need for us to serve the
nation.

At the end of the session, however, we would be engaged in animated
conversations involving glorification of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Unofficially, we would also be handed out video clips of RSS chief Mohan
Bhagwat pontificating on Hindu culture, patriotism and nationalism.

I must confess I developed a liking for the Sangh during those initial
days. This was the period when I devoted much of my time in reading Hindu
right wing literature. As days passed, I gradually wormed my way into the
inner circle of the RSS in Bengal. I was no longer an outsider but a part
of the RSS.

What was disconcerting was to find the utter contempt many of them had for
Bengal and Bengalis. For them, all Bengali-speaking people were
Bangladeshis, who were conspiring to stop the Sangh’s juggernaut. I once
overheard even as young a member as Ashutosh Jha, a first-year law student
in a better-known law college, being harangued by one Mayank Jain, a Bhopal
resident, to beat up 50 Bangladeshis or leave the Sangh.

Others would openly ask members to collect arms to take on Muslims and the
state police.

I was lucky to enter the good books of some senior Sangh members. From
Prashant Bhatt to Dr Vijay P Bhatkar, almost every senior Sangh
intellectual known to me, admired my existing works on Hinduism.

The writer with Vijay Bhatkar, Vijnana Bharati chief and Nalanda University
Chancellor.
Soibal Dasgupta

I must also confess that I was tempted to exploit the Sangh for my own
interest. I am a struggling writer with uncertain means. The thought did
cross my mind that I could make a killing by simply writing books and use
the Sangh to sell them. A large number of people seemed willing to buy
books written by anyone associated with the RSS.

But then, there are some principles such as humanity which cannot be put up
on sale. I now have recorded conversations and statements of leaders of the
RSS. But my intention is just to use the material in the novel that I am
writing. Tentatively titled “Unfettered”, the novel is expected to be ready
by the end of this year.

WORLD AYURVEDA CONGRESS (WAC) 2016

The turning point was when I volunteered to assist organisers hosting the
World Ayurveda Congress in 2016 in Kolkata. Those five days were an
eye-opener.

The day before it started, I was taken to the National Research Institute
of Ayurvedic Drug Development (NRIADD) in Salt Lake. The friend from the
RSS who escorted me boasted that the Director had been told in no uncertain
terms to take orders from Vijnana Bharati. “Our party is ruling at the
Centre,” he chuckled with satisfaction, adding that the institute had been
forced to allot a room to the RSS-affiliate within the campus. A room, I
found, was indeed occupied by Vijnana Bharati in the administrative block.

We then travelled to Science City, where preparations were on. I was
introduced to Anand Pandey, a senior RSS member, whose apparent claim to
fame was that he survived only on milk products. I tried to look suitably
impressed, even bewildered and asked in wonder how he endured the routine.
Pandey, however, appeared to be a nice person who said he believed in
equality of all. He also seemed to have an open mind.

In any case, there was a serious shortage of English speakers and Dr Arka
Jana of NASYA invited me to join his group tasked with taking care of
international delegates. My English was fluent but I was dressed
informally. A lady identified as Puja Sabarwal sternly asked us to wear
formal clothes and left the decision of wearing a tie to us.

One of the men joked that the weather of Kolkata was not conducive for
formal clothes. When Dr Jana suggested traditional Bengali wear, we were
ridiculed further. “What traditional,” said the official, adding “are you
going to receive international delegates in your flip-flops?” The men
laughed and pointed out that Bengalis everywhere moved in slippers. “From
top to bottom, everyone here roams around in slippers,” he said.

I was reminded of Rohith Vemula. The men had reduced me in no time to my
immediate Bengali identity. We, the Bengalis in the group, stood in silence
with a sickly smile on our faces as Bengalis continued to be insulted for
our looks, dress, habits. This was happening in front of at least five
senior Bengali Sangh members.

During the event, I also met Devesh Pandey, one of the very few young
members who were granted the privilege of meeting Mohan Bhagwat on a
one-to-one basis, I was told.

The writer with Devesh Pandey (middle) who told him that Bengali culture
was a ‘deformity’.
Soibal Dasgupta

He explained to me why a person can either be a Bengali or a Hindu.
“Bengali culture isn’t culture anymore: it’s a deformity,” he said, adding
“only 10 per cent of the Bengali Hindus are actual Hindus.

”There is indeed a general belief among BJP and RSS members, including the
Bengali ones, that Bengali Hindus are inferior to Hindi-speaking Hindus.
This was problematic but as I spent more time in the Sangh, I understood
that Bengalis in BJP had only one option in the guise of two to choose
from— either accept the superiority of the Hindi speakers or accept the
inferiority of the Bengalis. To quote Ramesh Rai, senior BJP functionary
and brother of Umesh Rai, vice president of Bengal State BJYM,
Hindi-speaking people have an upper hand in BJP in West Bengal.

Bengalis were barred from taking up any responsibility, as stated by two of
the organisers. Many stalls remained unoccupied throughout the event but
the invited poor village practitioners, of whom most were from the
oppressed communities, were made to sit on the ground while some right wing
organisations, unrelated to Ayurveda, occupied the stalls. The
discrimination was quite brazen.

INVITATION TO IT MILAN

After WAC 2016 was over, I resumed attending the shakha. Soon, I received
an invitation to join IT Milan at Keshtopur. It is a weekly meeting, I was
told, but it isn’t open to the general public. Unlike shakhas, it takes
place inside a house and it isn’t publicly talked about. This meeting is
meant for serious discussions about propaganda, future plans and
brainwashing at a higher level.

I found Prashant Bhatt, in-charge of RSS in Kolkata, waiting for me. We
chatted amiably even as Bhatt denied any diversity in society. We discussed
religion and nationalism for half an hour when we were called into another
room where preparations for Mohan Bhagwat’s visit was going on. We had
drills that were part of the event to be organised in his presence. Later,
under Prashant Bhatt’s guidance, we learnt a Bengali song. The song was
beautifully composed and Bhatt had a beautiful voice too. These songs were
meant to prove the support of Bengalis for the RSS although a majority of
members were non-Bengalis.

As the preparations ended, Baudhik or intellectual preaching started under
Bipin Pathak (a.k.a Bipin Bihari), a self-claimed intellectual and an IT
sector employee. I recognised him immediately but thankfully, he did not
recognise me. I was part of a group which had an altercation with him at
the Calcutta Book Fair where we were protesting Vemula’s suicide in January
2016.

He met me cordially enough and when he learnt that I was a playwright, he
immediately asked me to write a script in which Muslims were depicted as
the ‘Other’. He suggested I develop a plot in which a child grew up to find
that while he was adopted by a loving foster mother, his real mother was a
witch, obviously belonging to the minority community. The discussion was
conducted freely in front of other members of the Sangh including Prashant
Bhatt.

The writer with Bipin Pathak.
Soibal Dasgupta

He had everything ready, he confided. A YouTube channel, actors, viewers
and people who would share it on different platforms. All he needed was a
script.

“The plot is wonderful,” I exclaimed, adding “We must meet up someday and
work on this.” He readily agreed and a meeting was fixed for the next week
at Sector 5, Salt Lake. As the meet concluded, others left but I stayed
back. I met Prashant Bhatt privately and we exchanged our numbers.

Bhatt was invited by a fellow Sangh member for dinner but he didn’t seem
happy with it since the host was a South Indian. Our day ended with Bhatt’s
retarded Sardarji and South Indian jokes that I did not find funny. But he
laughed uproariously at the assumed stupidity of these two communities.

A week later, as planned, I met Bipin Bihari at Sector 5, Salt Lake. We sat
for two hours and discussed the plot, or more precisely, his attitude
towards the Muslims. He seemed upset over Muslims for not saying “Vande
Mataram”. He wanted me to include in the script an elder brother (Hindu)
ending his relations with his adopted brother (Muslim) because the latter
refused to call their mother ‘Ma’.

His rant against Muslims continued and he stressed why exactly a film had
to be made for the Hindu cause. He asked me to also include dialogues
highlighting the ignorance among Bengali Hindus about Hinduism.

GETTING INTERNAL INFORMATION

I was asked to follow Swami Apoorvananda of Ramakrishna Ashram. One of the
most respected monks in Sangh circles, I discovered he was known as
Atmananda Avadhoot Babaji in Vadodara (Gujarat). I was surprised, however,
by his overt casteist and communal rant. But it seemed to fit into a
pattern.

RSS and the BJP have used the name of Ramakrishna Mission for the past
several years. A fake profile of Swami Prabhanandaji, vice-president of
Ramakrishna Mission, even exhorts people to support the Bharatiya Janata
Party. His Facebook followers number over 5,000 and posts are shared by
thousands.

One Sarup Prasad Ghosh, a self-proclaimed educationist and a BJP
spokesperson in Bengal, dresses as a monk belonging to the Ramakrishna
Misson order. The state BJP openly says he is associated with the
Ramakrishna Mission. He puts on a saffron robe and a cap that people
associate with the monks of Ramakrishna Mission, which clearly prohibits
its monks from entering politics. Its monks are also expected to be
celibate. But details furnished by Ghosh to the Election Commission show
that he is neither a celibate nor a monk. How many of these fake monks have
the RSS and BJP unleashed in Bengal, I often wondered.

Several months went by. But while I learnt quite a lot about the BJP’s
underbelly in Bengal, I had made no headway in getting into a RSS school.
But eventually I did receive an invitation to attend the Kalpataru Divas
celebrations at the Saraswati Shishu Mandir School, Hatiara.

We had to walk three to four kilometres from Baguihati and reached a
Muslim-dominated area. We were introduced to Keshavji, a senior Pracharak.
We touched his feet but while he blessed us, his disinterest in us was
obvious. I suffered from a panic attack when we were asked to join a group
for a group photo. I had avoided getting myself photographed but here it
seemed difficult to escape. I urgently drew my escort away and asked him to
seek permission for me to talk to the teachers. Luckily the ploy worked and
we hurried away.

I was witness to the ugly scene when a woman approached Keshavji with a
complaint against a senior non-Bengali leader. She was heckled and dragged
away by boys young enough to be her son. Keshavji smiled indulgently while
someone exclaimed, ‘Pagal Hai’.

The secretary was not happy with my request to interview teachers. He was
suspicious but relented when my escort vouched for me: Yeh Sangh Ke hi
hain. I did hear the one teacher I was able to speak to mouth communal
statements. But then this was common enough in the Sangh. I had not picked
up anything new.

A few days letter, I went to Keshav Bhavan and met Prashant Bhatt and
explained my plan to talk to teachers and write an article for a pro-BJP
newspaper. Bhatt did not suspect my motive because he and others in the
Sangh had begun to admire my knowledge of Hindu theology. With his
intervention, permission was granted in no time.

AT SARASWATI SHISHU MANDIR

I was directed to take the bus plying on route number 30C from Baguihati
and get down at the last stoppage. The school, I was told, would be a short
walk from the bus stand. But nobody seemed to know the way to Saraswati
Shishu Mandir. A shopkeeper asked if I was looking for the Mission school.
I replied in the negative and walked away. The Google map on my mobile also
showed nothing. Most people had not heard of any school by that name.

A cultural programme at Saraswati Shishu Mandir, Hatiara.
Soibal Dasgupta

It was when I asked about a school with a temple inside that I was directed
to the school. The school coordinator, Kalidas Bhattacharyya, a man in his
mid-fifties, was waiting for me. I explained why I had got delayed by an
hour. “You should have asked them the way to the Ramakrishna Mission
School. They know this as the Mission school,” he innocently said. Here
finally was proof that the RSS was running an entire school under a false
cover.

(To be continued, second part to be published tomorrow)

II.
https://www.nationalheraldindia.com/eye-on-rss/deep-inside-the-saffron-lair-in-bengal-shadowy-groups-like-hindu-samhati-lend-muscle-to-rss

Deep inside the saffron lair in Bengal: Shadowy groups like Hindu Samhati
lend muscle to RSS

SOIBAL DASGUPTA

Updated: Oct 02nd 2017, 06.44 PM

File photo of an RSS Shakha
Photo by Vijayanand Gupta/Hindustan Times via Getty Images

A novelist and playwright infiltrates into the RSS to gain insight for his
upcoming ‘novel’ and provides an account of his time spent in the Sangh

(Continued from the article published yesterday)

Me and Kalidas Bhattacharyya began our interaction by exchanging trivial
notes about each other as we started walking towards a room. I came to know
that he has been a part of the RSS since 1977 and was a pracharak in the
North Bengal town of Siliguri till he was named as an accused in a case. He
did not divulge any details on the nature of the case and I refrained from
sounding too inquisitive, so as to not raise any suspicion. But he said the
trial was still going on. He was in charge of Saraswati Shishu Mandir,
Hatiara, on the outskirts of Kolkata.

Over the next one hour, we sat down for an interaction which, like all
others mentioned in this series, I recorded. I am reproducing some
interesting parts verbatim here in a Q&A format.

*I hear a lot about a group called Hindu Samhati and I often see them
saying loudly that Bengalis are cowards…*

You see, Bengalis are cowards as a race. I know the president of the group,
Tapan Ghosh, very well. He often visits our school. A few years ago, some
members of the Hindu Samhati, staying at the guesthouse of the Marwari
Society, had some quarrel with the local Muslims at Gangasagar. The Muslims
attacked them. It was the Sangh which rescued them. But the Sangh has its
limitations and cannot do everything. Groups like Hindu Samhati are
required for sure. They (Muslims) need to be beaten up. Once Tapanda asked
me to provide shleter to some Hindu Samhati activists. But I booted them
out because I overheard them bad-mouthing the Sangh.

*I understand some miscreants have entered the Sangh.*

Do you think the BJP and the Sangh have all good people? BJP is full of
corrupt leaders. The party could have done well but a number of lower caste
people have joined the BJP and the RSS in recent times.

Kalidas Bhattacharyya

*What is the stand of the Ramakrishna Mission (vis-à-vis the Sangh)?*

Vivekananda spread Hinduism in the west but several monks do not want to
accept it. They think their order is different from Hinduism but a group
within RKM have now turned back to Hinduism.

*How do you recruit teachers for Shishu Mandir?*

They apply, clear a test and then undergo training. The training is the
same that is given to the intellectuals in the Sangh.

*Are they offered any salary?*

Not much, between ₹800 and ₹1500 per month.

*What kind of course structure does the school follow?*

We do not follow the government-prescribed course structure at all. We have
our own books and syllabi. We teach our children about great personalities
associated with the Sangh and celebrate all important dates that are
celebrated by the Sangh.

*How do you manage to teach conflicting histories like the Maratha invasion
of Bengal where they burned and plundered temples?*

This is a primary school, till standard fourth. So, Maratha invasion isn’t
taught at all. However, we are certainly not going to teach anything
against the Sangh. If the Sangh is putting some effort (in teaching these
children), it must gain from them.

*This is a Muslim area. Do they trouble you in any manner?*

No. Till the main road, it is Muslim majority but houses around the school
belong to Hindus. (Smiles) In fact, there were some Muslim students here as
well and one of them had a Hindu mother. The child used to take part in all
rituals and pujas conducted in the school.

*Are the Muslims aware of this school’s association with the Rashtriya
Swayamsevak Sangh?*

No, not at all.

*Do the teachers endorse the ideology of the Sangh?*

Not all. Recently, one of the teachers showed some reluctance in attending
an event during Mohan Bhagwatji’s visit to the city. But we made him buy
the Ganavesh (uniform of the Sangh) and join the rally.

My interactions with the Sangh led me to the way the organisation functions
that helped in drawing a few conclusions as well. I will reproduce them in
a bullet-point format:

*RSS and BJP are hardly concerned about Hindus or Hinduism. For them, the
Hindu cause is just a pawn to increase political support for the BJP.
*Ethnic and caste discriminations play a central role within the Sangh
Parivar.
*The Sangh is strictly against any kind of dissenting opinion.
*Though local leaders are given certain higher positions, decision-making
power lies in the hands of the central unit of the organisations affiliated
to the Sangh. It is a highly centralised system.
*The shakhas play the role of a veil which covers the organisation’s main
political agenda.
*Slowly and steadily, the new members are exposed, stage by stage, to the
Hindutva ideology and the communal side of the Sangh.
*Through various stages, the Sangh tests its members and then selects only
those who appear fit to spread the communal agenda of the organisation.
*Unlike shakhas which are held in daytime, a few selected members hold
separate meetings on Saturday evenings under the direct supervision of the
representatives of RSS headquarters. For North Kolkata, the meeting takes
place in a house in Keshtopur.
*In these meets, the communal agenda is the primary subject of discussion
and planning.
*To install and spread communal hatred among the masses, the Sangh
maintains its hierarchy that ensures secrecy.


-- 
Peace Is Doable

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Green Youth Movement" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to