Hi,

it looks as if the panel-time information in the current dataset is lost
when:

1) a user-written hansl function is executed which internally plays
around with and repeatedly resets the sample

2) before calling that function, the current panel dataset is restricted
(in the time dimension)

Symptom: trying to use $obsdata works before calling the function, but
yields an error "won't work with the current periodicity". But $pd and
$datatype still work correctly.

Workaround: re-issue the setobs command after execution of the hansl
function, in my case: "setobs 4 1991:1 --panel-time"

Or to formulate my hypothesis differently: it seems that on exit from
the function, gretl somehow forgets to reinstate the previous panel time
properties when it reconstructs the state of the dataset that prevailed
at the time of calling the function. I believe that the problemĀ  didn't
show up for me when I was previously working with a dataset which was
*not* restricted at the outer level. So the sample restriction appears
to play a role.

This is with the latest snapshot (Dec 29th).

thanks

sven