On Wed, 12 Jan 2022, Sven Schreiber wrote:

I'm looking at the Bundesbank (BUBA) datasets through gretl's DB.NOMICS
addon. (Snapshot from two weeks ago.)

I'm noticing that some datasets are apparently duplicated or even
quadrupled:
- BBK01: appears 4 times
- BBNZ1 (National Accounts...): appears twice

This is a quirk of the Bundesbank provider. There's no bug in this respect on the gretl end.

The error on trying to access the list of series under BUBA/BBK01 was due to another Bundesbank quirk, namely that the series under BBK01 (and maybe others, I don't know) do not have a "series_name" recorded in the JSON from dbnomics. That's handled in version 0.43 of the gretl dbnomics addon: if there's no series_name we'll use the series_code instead.

Let me add: in my opinion the dbnomics label "series_name" is misleading. When this element is present (almost always, except for BUBA, so far as I can tell) it's not what I would think of as a name, but rather a (typically quite verbose) description. Here's an example from a BDF (Banque de France) series, misspelling and all:

"series_code" : "SC1.M.FR.1000.F51100.M.X.EUR.E.S",
"series_name" : "Net issues of quoted shares (including contributions in kind), ESA 95 valuation, Seasonnally adjusted"

Allin