On Mon, 22 Jan 2024, Sven Schreiber wrote:

Am 22.01.2024 um 01:05 schrieb Allin Cottrell:
On Sun, 21 Jan 2024, Sven Schreiber wrote:

Am 21.01.2024 um 23:17 schrieb Allin Cottrell:
On Sun, 21 Jan 2024, Sven Schreiber wrote:

5. In the main window with the variable list, the new variable appears with a duplicated underscore, "hey__ho".

This is fixed in git. Snapshots will follow.

Thanks, Allin. I briefly checked out the patch, and I'm not claiming to understand it fully, but the call to single_underscores looks somehow suspicious. What would happen if someone really and on purpose entered a name with a double (or multiple...) underscore, would that be preserved?

It wouldn't take long to try the experiment.

I thought I wasn't set up to build from the git source and be able to run the GUI program, but it seems I'm in better shape than I believed. So the patch isn't doing stupid things, AFAICS, which only highlights that I don't really understand it...

The problem was specific to adding a series via the data-editing spreadsheet in the GUI. The thing is that in a GTK dialog, if a label includes a single underscore it disappears (and it may turn the following letter into an accelerator depending on the context). So we need to double any underscores for variable names in the GTK spreadsheet. But then we should "undouble" the underscores when reading a series name from a column label. We were already doing that in some GTK contexts, but not in the one you found.

Allin