** Changed in: snapcraft

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of नेपाली
भाषा समायोजकहरुको समूह, which is subscribed to Xenial.

Title:
  Parts repository is undocumented

Status in Snapcraft:
  Fix Released
Status in The Xenial Xerus:
  New
Status in The Yakkety Yak:
  New

Bug description:
  We discussed in the sprint that there aren't too many contributions
  for parts, and I have a hint about why: it's not documented.

  This is the documentation for parts:

  https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/build-apps/snapcraft-parts/

  It doesn't even mention the idea of parts being imported, which means
  it also doesn't mention the location for such details.

  Then, in the advanced section, it is very tersely mentioned:

  """
  As we never define the curl part in the above example, snapcraft will check
the Ubuntu Wiki, which is where we currently host examples of successful
snapcraft parts.
  """

  Again, no proper coverage, and no links to where these are actually
  defined.

  The only place I could find a link to the wiki location is inside the
  snapcraft.yaml syntax definition:

  """
  plugin: Specifies the plugin name that will manage this part. Snapcraft will
pass to it all the other user-specified part options. If plugin is not defined,
the wiki will be searched for the part
  """

  Again, super terse and hidden in a non-obvious place. I could only
  find it because I knew what I was looking for.

  Most people will never even know about this feature.

  [Impact]

   * The parts wiki is not well documented.

  [Test Case]

   * Read the new snapcraft parts docs.

  [Regression Potential]

   * N/A. This is only a documentation change.