On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Templin, Fred L
<fred.l.temp...@boeing.com> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> See below for some follow-up:

Sorry, I was rushing :( One of the proposals was to use a secondary
VLAN at the exchange for 'larger' packets, one was to forklift the
exchange, I believe there was a third discussed in the meeting as
well.

>>   o is this a BCP instead of Informational doc?
>
> The document is proposing jacking up the Internet cell
> size from 1500 to 9000, where 9000 seems like a good
> fit for the vast majority of link paths anticipated
> for the near future. That seems like BCP to me.

Err, it's proposing setting the IXP interfaces to 'larger than 1500'.
One of the problems is that some networks already show up at exchanges
with 'larger than 1500 on their backbone/core facing interfaces, and
likely on most other interfaces in the network as well, so these IXP
interfaces are one-off situations :(

I don't see this proposal as jacking up the whole of the Internet,
there are still a vast number of edge interfaces which are not capable
of changing MTU, but making the one-off problems go away seems like a
good idea.

> At the same time, at some point down the road we may
> need to turn the crank again and jack up from 9000
> to something still larger. Hence, the BCP for the
> near term should leave open the door for an update
> at some point in the future.
>
>>   o should this be adopted for WG work?
>
> Yes.

thanks!