Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 04:23:03PM -0800, Martin J. Levy:
> Hence ... There is MSS negotiation; hence there is "value"; but I believe I
> should only note this fact within the document and not make in any way a
> requirement to tune or change the BGP or TCP knobs to take advantage of the
> large MTU path.  The fact that some sessions enable this and some don't is
> perfectly OK. It's being decided by the routers for whatever reason they
> choose.

enable what?  it's TCP that is concerned with the MTU (& MSS), not BGP.
a vendor might provide data about the underlying tcp connection in its
bgp session output, but that doesn't mean that BGP is concerned with its
value - its just handy debugging information for the operator.  I suppose
an implementation could use the MTU or MSS for something, but it shouldn't
need to do that if its TCP stack were implemented properly - implementation
specifc.