On 25 Oct 2014, at 15:09, Ray Hunter <v6...@globis.net> wrote:

> This is natural behaviour, unless there's a less blunt instrument applied to
> managing BGP routing table size than simply restricting maximum prefix length
> per peer.

Please have a look at my draft. I think that establishing an aggregate of last
resort coupled with BGP communities that allow for selectively filtering
deaggregates covered by an aggregate in the places where they aren't desired
helps both big organizations and network operators.

If a big organization hires two tier-1 ISPs, for instance, and then makes sure
that the ISPs that its organizational subunits select for their connectivity
interconnect with the ISPs announcing the AoLR (as peers or as customers), only
networks that get paid need to carry the deaggregates. Which is good for the
ISPs that get paid (obviously), for the ones that don't get paid (no
deaggregates) and for the organization (they know who to blame for connectivity
issues).