Folks,

Allow me to express a bit of a different view - this time from enterprise
perspective.

Actually announcing more specifics of the block one owns has real service
advantages. So in itself it is actually a good thing !

What is bad for Internet is propagating those more specific routes beyond
the point that they make any difference any longer.

There was proposal to aggregate those at dynamic points where sending them
no longer brings any service/routing advantages, but apparently at that
time no one cared much:

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-marques-idr-aggregate-00.txt

- - -

See assume I own /19 for a global network. I can't possibly announce that
block via all of my 20 ISP peerings globally as top requirement is not to
keep the Internet BGP table tiny, but rather to offer best service to
customers.

Further more imagine I offer various services based on geo location. For
customers in Japan I want them to go to Japan DMZ and not float to any
other location just because his ISP is one AS hop away from NY and two AS
hops away from Osaka or Tokyo ISPs I peer with. So if I would attract such
service to US I would need to carry it back to Tokyo over global WAN -
disaster.

See even /24 is a very coarse limit one has to deal with. I may have few
gateways for a given service per site not 255. And each service has
completely different service requirements from the network characteristic.
If I have 8 ISPs there

It is very clear (at least to some) that basic BGP best path routing is
suboptimal. For years folks have been using SLA based routing to steer
packets over non necessarily BGP best path between Internet endpoints. The
more fine are the announcements the better egress path selection can be
achieved. So the Internet is no longer used to reach A & B. It is used to
reach A & B in most optimal way for a given application.

Let's therefore keep those points in mind while blindly bashing
"deaggregation" and calling names those who do it :). I bet no one is doing
that just for fun.

Enterprises are doing it to provide the best level of service. ISPs do it
to serve the needs of their customers. It is feasible to enhance BGP to
aggregate when it no longer makes sense to carry more specific prefixes -
let's rethink this.

Thx,
R.