I've heard about Growl app for quite a while however rolling back form
Mavericks to Lion found me missing Notification Center. I'm not planning to
abandon Lion for a unspecified amount of time in foreseen future or at
least use it as my primary OS alongside newer version but need some part of
NC functionality. I'm currently at loss and feel confused over what a
version of this app suits my OS X version best to ensure stable
performance. I read that Growl was updated for compatibility with Lion with
v.1.3 (1.4) and the most current version is designed to cooperate with
Mavericks.

The big question: which version should I use to get optimal benefits out of
my system (Lion in this case)?

Thank you for you answers.