Hello Charlie,

Thanks for you answer. Since it addresses the problem with VLC, I prefer to
answer in the right topic.

Charlie S wrote on 10/02/2018 et 17:40
VLC 3.0.0 has Growl Framework 1.2.2
I agree. Exactly the same as VLC 2.2.8
Can't update the FW before the first open of VLC (macOS verification on first
open says it is damaged), after verify Upgrade FW via Growl Version detective
looks to have worked.
The same for me: Growl Version Detective displays the same version 2.0 (meaning
success?) after upgrading FW in VLC-2.2.8 and VLC-3.0.0

But, after, for me there is a difference:
VLC 2.2.8 now displays notifications
VLC 3.0.0 remains silent
In Growl 2.1.3 for VLC the only Notifications rule I see is New input playing.
I agree, the description of the only notification is kept the same for VLC
2.2.8 and VLC 3.0.0 (and all the previous for years).
And you can enable this only one notification in VLC preferences (first pane,
"Interface", of basic preferences).
Not sure where the setting is set enable notification for next playlist item in
VLC.
Maybe have I been unclear with my sentence only speaking of skipping to next
song:
for years this only notification of "New Input playing" is triggered

 * when you start a new track by drag'n'dropping a file (e.g. a music file) in
VLC
 * and also when the music skips (automatically or manually) to the next track
of the VLC playlist

I get notifications with VLC 2.2.8 in the above two conditions (after upgraging
FW 1.2.2 to 2.0 with Growl Detective).

I can't get none of them with VLC 3.0.0 (even after performing the same
upgrade).

macOS 10.13.3
macOS Sierra 10.12.6 for me,
but tested also with same result on a 10.13

Yann Ricquebourg wrote on 10/02/2018 à 17:26

Hi,

As discussed in another topic, Chris suggested to use Grow Version Detective to
bring back growl notifications for VLC (2.2.8).

It worked for me with the following config:

  * macOS Sierra
  * VLC 2.2.8, built-in with Growl FW 1.2.2

=> after upgrading VLC with Growl Version Detective, each time you skip to the
next media file in VLC, you get a notification. Perfect.

But with the brand new version 3.0.0 of VLC released meantime (yesterday), the
suggestion does not work any longer whereas they use the same FW1.2.2 and the
detective correctly upgrades it to 2.0

Did I miss something?

Do other users manage to get notifications from VLC 3.0.0?

Regards.

-Yann.