On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 10:08 AM, KaterchenSama <
znamirowski.mar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am desperately trying to get a Python3.5.2 native interface to the ETCD
> V3 Api (since there is no new library currently in place or supported).
>
> I nstalled the newest Protoc Compiler as well as the current GRPC tools
> straight from the source, gathered up all the proto-files which are
> imported in the etcd/etcdserver/etcdserverpb/rpc.proto from various
> sources and let it generate a grpc python file for each of them. I put them
> all into one folder, fixed up the imports to match and then fired up
> Ipython to try some things in the console.
>
> At the very least the KV store seemed to work great. Put and Range were
> working fine and I was sure that everything else would work out as well.
>
> But when I tried to set up a Watch, the Thread spawned in the background
> immediately dies. Here is my console output:
>
> In [1]: import etcd_grpc.rpc_pb2 as rpc
>
> In [2]: import grpc
>
> In [3]: chan= grpc.insecure_channel('localhost:2379')
>
> In [4]: kv = rpc.KVStub(chan)
>
> In [5]: put = kv.Put(rpc.PutRequest(key=b'lala', value=b'hoho'))
>
> In [6]: put
> Out[6]:
> header {
>   cluster_id: 14841639068965178418
>   member_id: 10276657743932975437
>   revision: 15
>   raft_term: 3
> }
>
> In [7]: wcr = rpc.WatchCreateRequest(key=b'bam')
>
> In [8]: wr = rpc.WatchRequest(create_request=wcr)
>
> In [9]: wi = rpc.WatchStub(grpc.insecure_channel('localhost:2379'))
>
> In [10]: watch = wi.Watch(wr)
>
> In [11]: Exception in thread Thread-849:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python3.5/threading.py", line 914, in _bootstrap_inner
>     self.run()
>   File "/usr/lib/python3.5/threading.py", line 862, in run
>     self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/grpc/_channel.py", line 184
> , in consume_request_iterator
>     for request in request_iterator:
> TypeError: 'WatchRequest' object is not iterable

This smells like a cardinality problem - in particular I suspect that in
your .proto file you've specified the Watch RPC method as request-streaming
but in the code you've pasted above you are attempting to invoke the method
as though it were request-unary. If you intend the Watch RPC method to only
ever be given exactly one WatchRequest message, do you need to remove the
first "stream " from "rpc Watch(stream WatchRequest) returns (stream
WatchResponse) {}" in your .proto file? If you intend the Watch RPC method
to be able to be given zero or more WatchRequest messages and wish in the
context of this one call to give it just one WatchRequest message, do you
need to change your invocation to "watch = wi.Watch(iter((wr,)))"?

The thread supposed to feed the watch-Rendevouz died leaving the console in
> an eternal loop (or maybe there is a long timeout) if I try to use
> watch.next()
>
> I tried debugging it, but the automatedly generated code is stacked so
> deep and on top there is the threading complexity.... i have no idea what
> the final function does and why it would try to treat the WatchRequest as
> an iterator. I haven't modified the output of the grpc tools at all.
>
> If someone has an Idea, could help me with this, or even has a working
> ETCD V3 Interface for python laying around. I would be grateful for either.

Thank you for including your Python code - it would also help to look at
the associated .proto code.
-Nathaniel

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CAEOYnASu8Wy7H9uTzOM9ErheGFeBpWetAayygbhBw0bB9OFZOg%40mail.gmail.com.