The PHP use case is as follows:

   - Your frontend client (e.g. browser, mobile) is hitting your Nginx
   reverse proxy
   - Perhaps that's a PHP script that the user is requesting. Nginx is
   launching a fastcgi process to run your PHP script.
   - This PHP script can be used as a gRPC client itself, to communicate
   further with a gRPC backend server that could have been implemented in any
   language.

Hope that helps.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CAEteGX1gHtO5%2BB%3DR-EKG9fjYSnim1%2B%3Dsws%3DQgsN9CSF9eGeB%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com.