I noticed there is a server-side implementation
<https://github.com/grpc/grpc-go/blob/d0c32ee6a441117d49856d6120ca9552af413ee0/reflection/serverreflection.go>
in Go for service reflection
<https://github.com/grpc/grpc-go/blob/d0c32ee6a441117d49856d6120ca9552af413ee0/reflection/grpc_reflection_v1alpha/reflection.proto>.
But a client is notably absent. Using a generated stub is inconvenient for
numerous reasons, not least among them being that the generated API of raw
descriptor protos is rather unwieldy.

I've written such a client
<https://github.com/jhump/protoreflect/blob/4df185295ba66e94f4fd8e8f60f6a34be0cf875b/grpcreflect/clientreflection.go>
and was wondering if it would be considered a useful addition to the core
grpc-go repo. It provides a richer descriptor type, similar to what is done
in Java and C++ protobuf implementations, to make the returned schema
easier to use.

(I've also asked the protobuf mailing list if the descriptors would be a
welcome contribution to the Go protobuf library. Although I don't see my
message in Google Groups -- anyone know if that group is moderated?)

----
*Josh Humphries*
jh...@bluegosling.com

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CAO78j%2BLPc5siL964t3%2Ba02qjmBEE0Se8yPqa6hvd%2B0Wqj69nhA%40mail.gmail.com.