Hi Benjamin,

I am the tech lead for the OpenCensus Java work. As you mention, OpenCensus
provides both tracing and stats and is a separate project from OpenTracing.
We have worked in conjunction with the gRPC team to use OpenCensus to
instrument their code and it is integrated in at this point (has been for a
while).

I don't know of any plans for gRPC to provide integrated OpenTracing
support but someone from the gRPC team would need to say definitively.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/544a3359-6e9f-44f9-bf49-e76f13427f75%40googlegroups.com.