I was able to compile grpc to asm.js using emscripten and run without
errors, but I think you are correct, the client was not able to make a
connection from the browser to the grpc server.  I'm not sure what the path
forward is yet.  I am going to experiment with a c++ socket and see if
webassembly will use websockets.  I saw a post on stackoverflow
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44637000/how-to-call-from-webassembly-websocket-api>

that suggested this is the case

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/b2a50b3a-fd71-4d75-b77c-8e9a75858fe1%40googlegroups.com.