I have started working with gRPC fairly recently and really like a lot of
aspects of it - thanks to all who contributed to it! But a couple of design
decisions don't make sense to me (at least not yet!). Any
comments/responses to the question in the subject line would be greatly
appreciated.

A bit more background. Java server side code generated from proto3 files
doesn't have any simple way to access the headers/trailers of the incoming
message. It looks like the only way to access them is to create a custom
call interceptor, capture and store values in thread-local variables for
the subsequent access in the method implementations. It's error prone and
rather cumbersome.

Go's implementation makes it much simpler to do that, thanks to metadata
package
(https://github.com/grpc/grpc-go/blob/master/Documentation/grpc-metadata.md).
Any reason why a similar facility doesn't exist in Java?
https://github.com/grpc/grpc-java/blob/master/stub/src/main/java/io/grpc/stub/MetadataUtils.java

provides some options (MetadataCapturingClientInterceptor), but is explicit
that it's designed for testing purposes. Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Sergei

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/6023b084-6e53-4878-9d66-937c1a89b0a3%40googlegroups.com.